The EZpanel Cavity System is a cavity-based external wall cladding system for residential and light commercial type buildings where domestic construction techniques are used.
The system consists of autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) panels (EZpanel panels) fixed over high density polystyrene battens to form a 20 or 40 mm cavity, or timber batten ties to form a 40 mm cavity. The backing substrate is then over coated and reinforced with a range of specially blended proprietary cement-or acrylic-based plasters before the walls are finished with a chosen finishing plaster and painted with a 100% acrylic based paint system. EZpanles can also be boned or mechanically fixed to concrete or masonry walls. (Note: This Application is outside the scope of the BRANZ Appraisal.)
EZpanels are reinforced with a high strength wire mesh making them extremely impact resistant. EZpanels are lightweight, will not rot, are pest resistant and have excellent sound insulation properties.
Specialized’s EZpanel System is guaranteed for 15-years from the date of practical completion.
Scope of use
The EZpanel Cavity System is suitable as an external cladding system:
- within the scope limitations of NZBC E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1; and
- with a risk score of 0-20, calculated in accordance with E2/AS1, Table 2; and
- in NZS 3604 Wind Zones up to and
including "Extra High".
EZpanel Cavity System is also suitable for weathertightness and
structural wind loading when used for timber and steel framed buildings
subject to specific design up to a design differential ULS wind pressure of 2.5 kPa.
The EZpanel Cavity System must only be installed on vertical surfaces
(except for tops of parapets, sills and balustrades, which must have a
minimum 10º slope and be waterproofed in accordance with the Technical
Joinery must meet the requirements of NZS 4211 for the relevant Building Wind
Zone or be specifically designed for use in specifically designed buildings.
New Zealand Building Code (NZBC)
The product will, if employed in accordance with the supplier's installation and maintenance requirements, assist with meeting the following provisions of the building code:
- Clause B1 Structure: Performance B1.3.1, B1.3.2, B1.3.3, B1.3.4
- Clause B2 Durability: Performance B2.3.1(b), B2.3.1(c), B2.3.2
- Clause E2 External moisture: Performance E2.3.2
- Clause F2 Hazardous building materials: Performance F2.3.1
B1.3.3 The EZpanel Cavity System meets the requirements for loads arising from (a) self-weight, (f) earthquake, (h) wind, (j) impact loads likely to be encountered in normal residential use, and (q) time dependent effects including creep and shrinkage.
B2.3.1(b) 15 years for the cladding system and plaster finish and (c) 5 years for the exterior paint system
The product has and can make available the following additional evidence to support the above statements:
- Timber framing must comply with NZS 3604 for buildings or parts of buildings within the scope limitations of NZS 3604. Buildings or parts of buildings outside the scope of NZS 3604 must be to a specific design in accordance with NZS 3603 and AS/NZS 1170.
- For steel framing the minimum framing specification is ‘C’ section studs and nogs of overall section size 75mm web and 32mm flange. Steel thickness must be a minimum of 0.75mm
- All external walls of buildings must have barriers to airflow in the form of interior linings with all joints stopped for wind zones up to and including Very High. Unlined gables and walls must incorporate a rigid sheathing or an air barrier which meets the requirements of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Table 23.
See the EZpanel Specification document
for full design requirements
Installation of components and accessories supplied by Specialized Construction Products Ltd, its certified distributors and certified plasterers must be carried out only by Specialized Construction Products Ltd certified plasterers.
See the EZpanel specification document for full installation requirements
Regular maintenance is essential to ensure the performance requirements of the NZBC are continually met and to ensure the maximum serviceability of the system.
Regular cleaning (at least annually) of the paint coating is required to remove grime, dirt and organic growth and to maximise the life and appearance of the coating. Grime may be removed by brushing with a soft brush, warm water and detergent.
Paint systems must be recoated at approximately 5-8 yearly intervals in accordance with the paint manufacturer’s instructions.
Annual inspections must be made to ensure that all aspects of the cladding system, including the coating system, plasters, flashings and any sealed joints remain in a weatherproof condition. Any cracks, damaged areas or areas showing signs of deterioration which could allow water ingress must be repaired immediately. The EZpanel Cavity System must be repaired in accordance with the instructions of Specialized Construction Products Ltd.
AAC’s high resource efficiency gives it low environmental impact in
all phases of its life cycle, from processing of raw materials to the
disposal of AAC waste on site during construction. In the
manufacturing process, no pollutants or toxic by-products are
||New Zealand Made