The AeroBrick Veneer Cladding System is and external wall cladding system for use on single and two storey buildings where domestic construction techniques are used.
The system consists of autoclaved aerated concrete bricks (AeroBricks) installed using ties to form a 40 - 75 mm cavity. The coating system consists of 2-3 mm thickness of fibreglass mesh reinforced base coat plaster, followed by the application of 1-2 mm thick spanish finish, float finish or texture finishing plaster, which is then finished with a 100% acrylic exterior paint system.
Specialized’s AeroBrick System is guaranteed for 15-years from the date of practical completion.
Scope of use
The Aerobrick Veneer Cladding System has been appraised for use as a veneer cladding system for buildings within the following scope:
- the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 Paragraph 1.1 in terms of floor area, with a maximum of two stories; and,
- with a maximum height of brick veneer of 7.5 m above the supporting foundation, except that at gable ends and some piers this height may be up to 10.0 m, and a maximum height of 4.0 m above a roof line or 7.5 m above an adjacent building foundation, whichever is the lesser; and,
- with a risk score of 0-20, calculated in accordance with NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1 Table 2; and,
- with timber framing constructed on a slab-on-ground in accordance with NZS 3604 for brick veneer and/or concrete masonry foundation constructed in accordance with NZS 4229; and,
- situated in NZS 3604 Wind Zones up to and including very high.
The Aerobrick Veneer Cladding System is appraised for use with aluminium window and door joinery that is installed with the vertical jambs and horizontal heads and sills. (Note: The Appraisal of the AeroBrick Veneer Cladding System relies on the joinery meeting the requirements of NZS 4211 for the relevant Wind Zone.)
Installation of plasters and accessories supplied by Specialized Construction Products Ltd and approved applicators must be carried out only by Specialized Construction Products Ltd approved applicators.
New Zealand Building Code (NZBC)
The product will, if employed in accordance with the supplier's installation and maintenance requirements, assist with meeting the following provisions of the building code:
- Clause B1 Structure: Performance B1.3.1, B1.3.2, B1.3.3, B1.3.3(a), B1.3.3(f), B1.3.3(h), B1.3.3(j), B1.3.3(q), B1.3.4
- Clause B2 Durability: Performance B2.3.1, B2.3.1(b), B2.3.1(c), B2.3.2
- Clause E2 External moisture: Performance E2.3.2
- Clause F2 Hazardous building materials: Performance F2.3.1
B1.3.3 The AeroBrick Lightweight Plastered brick Veneer System meets the requirements for loads arising from (a) self-weight, (f) earthquake, (h) wind, (j) impact loads likely to be encountered in normal residential use, and (q) time dependent effects including creep and shrinkage.
B2.3.1(b) 15 years for the cladding system and plaster finish and (c) 5 years for the exterior paint system
The product has and can make available the following additional evidence to support the above statements:
- Timber framing must comply with NZS 3604 for buildings or parts of buildings within the scope limitations of NZS 3604. Buildings or parts of buildings outside the scope of NZS 3604 must be to a specific design in accordance with NZS 3603 and AS/NZS 1170.
- For steel framing the minimum framing specification is ‘C’ section studs and nogs of overall section size 75mm web and 32mm flange. Steel thickness must be a minimum of 0.75mm
- All external walls of buildings must have barriers to airflow in the form of interior linings with all joints stopped for wind zones up to and including Very High. Unlined gables and walls must incorporate a rigid sheathing or an air barrier which meets the requirements of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Table 23.
See the AeroBrick Specification document
for full design requirements
Installation of components and accessories supplied by Specialized Construction Products Ltd, its certified distributors and certified plasterers must be carried out only by Specialized Construction Products Ltd certified plasterers.
See the AeroBrick specification document for full installation requirements
Regular maintenance is essential to ensure the performance requirements of the NZBC are continually met and to ensure the maximum serviceability of the system.
Regular cleaning (at least annually) of the paint coating is required to remove grime, dirt and organic growth and to maximise the life and appearance of the coating. Grime may be removed by brushing with a soft brush, warm water and detergent.
Paint systems must be recoated at approximately 5-10 yearly intervals in accordance with the paint manufacturer’s instructions.
Annual inspections must be made to ensure that all aspects of the cladding system, including the coating system, plasters, flashings and any sealed joints remain in a weatherproof condition. Any cracks, damaged areas or areas showing signs of deterioration which could allow water ingress must be repaired immediately.
||New Zealand Made