Viking Peel & Stick Membrane is a self-adhering, damp-proof membrane (DPM) waterproofing system for vertical and horizontal tanking applications. It is primarily adhered to the outside of a sub-structure of a building (such as a foundation or basement) to prevent water ingress.
Other forms of tanking where Peel & Stick can be used include under floor slabs, behind masonry walls, the lining of substrates of in situ or pre-cast concrete; retaining walls, cellars, lift shafts, tunnels, plaza decks, roof gardens and planter boxes.
Peel & Stick consists of a 1.5mm thick rubberised asphalt membrane, on the face of which a heavy-duty, high impact polyethylene film is laminated. It is easy to install (aiding a quality finish), with the adhesive side having a removable release sheet which is peeled back at the time of application to the substrate. It is cold-applied, so it is useful in restricted areas where the use of a flame is not an option. The Peel & Stick system consists of the membrane, bituminous primer, liquid mastic sealant, protection boards and drainage boards.
Peel & Stick provides full-adhesion to eliminate water migration. Peel & Stick can be adhered to various substrate types and the bond improves over time. It possesses elastomeric properties, so the membrane forgives movement and provides flexibility over cracks. It is mechanically strong and resists hydrostatic pressure.
Peel & Stick comes in rolls 1.5mm thick x 0.914m wide (fewer seams) x 20.4m long. BRANZ Appraised No. 826 (2014). 20-year product warranty. Viking Roofspec is an active member of the Waterproofing Membrane Association Inc. (W.M.A.I.); an incorporation of companies whose goal is to lift the standard of waterproofing in New Zealand. The W.M.A.I. is formulating a "Tanking Code of Practice" for the Department of Building and Housing.
Scope of use
Viking Peel & Stick Membrane has been appraised as a DPM for use:
- On buildings subject to non-specific design under floor slabs complying with NZS 3604 and behind concrete masonry basement walls and under floor slabs complying with NZS 4229; and,
- On buildings subject to specific design with substrates of in situ or precast concrete complying with NZS 3101 or concrete masonry complying with NZS 4230 and 4210; and,
- Where subsoil drainage and free draining granular backfill has been placed behind basement walls.
Viking Peel & Stick Membranes must be adequately protected against damage during backfilling and in service.
New Zealand Building Code (NZBC)
The product will, if employed in accordance with the supplier's installation and maintenance requirements, assist with meeting the following provisions of the building code:
- Clause B1 Structure: Performance B1.3.1
- Clause B2 Durability: Performance B2.3.1, B2.3.1(a), B2.3.2, B2.3.2(a)
- Clause E2 External moisture: Performance E2.3.3
- Clause F2 Hazardous building materials: Performance F2.3.1
Product specification and incorporation of Viking Peel & Stick Membranes into the building design shall be carried out by a designer/architect/engineer or a building professional who:
- Is qualified to design the buildings covered under the 'Scope' of use of this product.
- Has ready access to the technical specifications including installation details and standards referenced in the BRANZ Appraisal No. 826 (2014)) where the design limitations are outlined for the scope of this PTS.
Accessories that are part of the Viking Peel & Stick system include bituminous primer (19L), liquid mastic sealant (750ml), protection boards and drainage boards.Click here to read more about Peel & Stick's accessories..