Fire Retardant Absorbant Breathable Wall Underlay. Is a white Non-Woven polypropylene, specifically designed as a Wall Underlay behind exterior wall claddings. Thermakraft220 offers a high degree of water resistance, with a high level of water vapour permeability.
Can be used as a wall Underlay on timber and with absorbent wall claddings direct fixed to framing. Can be used a Wall Underlay in a drained cavity..
Suitable for use in all wind zones of NZS 3604 up to and including "very high" when used as a standalone flexible underlay, and Extra High when used as a flexible underlay over a rigid wall underlay .
Unaffected by LOSP Timber.
Scope of use
Thermakraft 220 is a Fire Retardant Absorbent Breathable Composite Non Woven Wall Underlay can be used as a wall underlay on timber framed buildings within the following scope:
• the scope limitations of NZBC Acceptable Solution E2/AS1, Paragraph 1.1; and,
• with absorbent wall wall claddings directly fixed to framing; and,
• with absorbent and non-absorbent non metallic wall claddings installed over an 18mm minimum drained cavity; and
,• with masonry veneer in accordance with NZS 3604; and,
• situated in NZS3604 Building Wind Zones up to, and including ‘Very High’.
Fire Retardant Absorbent Breathable Composite Non Woven Wall Underlay can be used as a wall underlay on timber framed buildings within the following scope:
New Zealand Building Code (NZBC)
The product will, if employed in accordance with the supplier's installation and maintenance requirements, assist with meeting the following provisions of the building code:
- Clause B2 Durability: Performance B2.3.1(a), B2.3.1(b), B2.3.2
- Clause E2 External moisture: Performance E2.3.2
- Clause F2 Hazardous building materials: Performance F2.3.1
The product has and can make available the following additional evidence to support the above statements:
- Can be used as a wall underlay on timber with absorbent wall claddings direct fixed to framing.
- Can be used as a wall underlay on timber with absorbent and non-absorbent non-metallic wall claddings installed over an 18mm minimum drained cavity.
- Note: must not be used as a roof underlay
- Is suitable for use in all Building Wind Zones of NZS3604 up to, and including ‘Very High’.
- Thermakraft 220 Wall Underlay has an AS 1530 Part 2 Flammability Index of not greater than 5 and therefore meets the requirements of NZBC Acceptable Solutions
C/AS2 to C/AS6, Paragraph 4.17.8 b), for the surface finish requirements of suspended flexible fabric used as an underlay to exterior cladding that is exposed to view
in occupied spaces. It may therefore be used with no restrictions in all buildings.
Thermakraft 220 must be fixed with printed side out and the non-printed side to the frame.Must be applied to all exterior walls from below bearers to the top plate. Fix securely to the frame with fasteners such as galvanized Little Grippers, 6mm-8mm staples or 20mm large head galvanized clouts at 300mm centres horizontally and vertically.
Additional fasteners should be used around each opening to be cut out.If using either 2740mm or 1370mm width, a minimum of150mm lap is required at joins and all vertical laps must be made over studs. Make good repairs on any forced tears with White GP Tape.Insure it is wide enough to cover the height of a standard wall from below the bottom plate to the top plate. Initially, cover all windows and door openings. Use extra fastenings around each window or door opening to be cut out. It is recommended that the wall underlay is not cut and prepared for window installation until the arrival of the windows.
No regular maintenance required.
Watergate plus has no known negative environment conditions
Watergate has no VOCs in manufacture installation or use
Watergate plus is recyclable at end of life with no harmful residue