ARDEX Butynol is the flagship product of ARDEX New Zealand and has been manufactured in Christchurch since 1967. A synthetic rubber membrane, ARDEX Butynol will protect against water regardless of whether it is laid on a high pitched roof with a good run-off or a flat roof subject to periodic ponding.
ARDEX Butynol is fixed by approved applicators who have been specially trained and are experienced in various application methods.
Scope of use
refer to BRANZ Document
ARDEX Butynol is suitable as a waterproofing membrane for buildings within the following scope:
- scope limitations of NZBC E2/AS1; and
- with timber supporting structures designed and constructed in accordance with the NZBC; and
- with nominally flat or pitched roofs constructed to drain water to gutters and drain outlets complying with the NZBC; and,
- with substrates of plywood sheet; and
- with decks that have a max. size of 40m²
Butynol is also suitable as a waterproofing membrane for external reinforced concrete and plywood roofs, pedestrian roofs and balconies for buildings within the following scope:
- up to 3 storeys with a maximum height from ground to eaves of 10m and with a floor plan area limited only be seismic and structural control joints; and,
- With the reinforced concrete structure designed and constructed in accordance with the NZBC; and,
- with timber supporting structures designed and constructed in accordance with the NZBC
New Zealand Building Code (NZBC)
The product will, if employed in accordance with the supplier's installation and maintenance requirements, assist with meeting the following provisions of the building code:
- Clause B2 Durability: Performance B2.3.1(b)
- Clause E2 External moisture: Performance E2.3.1, E2.3.2
- Clause F2 Hazardous building materials: Performance F2.3.1
The product meets the requirements set out in the following documents, or relevant parts of cited standards within the documents:
- E2/AS1 External moisture
- BRANZ Appraised 436
- CodeMark AQ-050516-CMNZ
The product has and can make available the following additional evidence to support the above statements:
Butynol can be applied to a variety of substrates.
Substrates must be designed in accordance with the relevant standard.
Ardex Butynol is an acceptable solution under the NZBC E2/AS1
Butynol is supplied as follows, with a complete range of accessories:
- Standard 1.0mm – For roofs, gutters and decks with protection.
- 1.2mm – For roofs.
- 1.5mm – For roofs and walk out decks.
- 2.25mm Heavy Duty
Factory welded panels in all gauges can be custom made.
Colours are available in 1.2mm and 1.5mm gauges.
When ARDEX Butynol is laid by an approved applicator in accordance with ARDEX specifications a material warranty for up to 20 years is available.
Ensure that the substrate surface to be covered by Butynol is in a fit and proper condition, suitable for the laying of the material. All joins in substrate sheets must be taped with 25mm wide ARDEX release tape. All Butynol sheeting shall be laid out on the roof to “relax” the sheeting before fixing. A period of at least 20 minutes is required. ARDEX Butynol shall be applied in accordance with the current ARDEX technical literature All Butynol shall be “lap bonded” using ARDEX WPM 299 and Seam Tape
Where possible flood testing should be undertaken.
No maintenance of the membrane is normally required provided significant substrate movement does not occur.
In the event of damage to the membrane, the membrane must be repaired by removing the damaged portion and applying a patch as for new work.
Drainage outlets must be checked periodically.
VOC certification available on request.
ECO-Butynol should be used where green building techniques are being utilised.
Safe to collect potable water from ARDEX Butynol clad roofs.
||ISO 9001 (Quality Management)
||Member of New Zealand Green Building Council
||New Zealand Made